Type 2 Diabetes in Adults: How Can the PCP Reinforce Diabetes Management?
Diabetes Goals, Meal Planning, and Exercise Motivation
During a regular appointment with a patient with type 2 diabetes, what should you be addressing? An expert panel (including a primary care doctor) discuss in this video roundtable best practices for treating the adult type 2 diabetes patient.
The panel represents a range of expertise in the diabetes field.
- Steven M. Armbrust, MD: Family Practice Physician
- Amy Hess-Fischl, MS, RD, LDN, BC-ADM, CDE: Certified Diabetes Educator at the University of Chicago Medical Center
- David S. Oyer, MD: Endocrinologist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital (Chicago) and Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine-Endocrinology at Northwester University Feinberg School of Medicine
Thomas DeStefani, MD moderates this diabetes video.
The expert panel offers diabetes management tips such as:
- Check if they've been to the dentist recently
- Ask if they've been to the podiatrist in the last year
- Discuss weight loss if needed and talk about how it can help them meet their A1c goals
- Always check their understanding of their diabetes goals (eg, blood glucose ranges and A1c)