Register Today!
Receive our eNewsletters. Signup
EndocrineWeb Community Advice

should I see a thyroid specialist?

From: Mrs.Record - 4 years 44 weeks ago

I saw my nurse practitioner last week. I am having terrible symptoms of perhaps to much thyroid. My blood work came back as she put it... looking like I am becoming hyper from being hypo for the past 8-9 years. She said if my symptoms persist to come back and she will evaluate my meds. Well she already took me off one day a week back in January. I take 112 mcg of levothyroxine 6 days a week. Now my symptoms are worse than they have ever been. I asked for a referral to see a thyroid doc and she said NO. her exact words were " they wont see you anyway and there is nothing they can do for you that I don't already do" Well I am freaking out here. I know my body and my symptoms are insane. I literally feel like I'm going to die. My heart feels like it is going to explode. I have weird heat attacks sweating profusely then I freeze to the point of shivering. Im dizzy like to the point of fainting and she will not help me. I don't know what to do.

Do you find this discussion helpful?

2 Responses

Is this good advice?

I was helped by a specialist from one visit and helped relieve many symptoms that was not being treated by my GP !
I think you can be helped by a Endocrine DR , look for one and get the help you need asap !
Don't suffer any longer !

Is this good advice?

Change doctors. You are entitled to see who you wish. If your levels are high then they need to see why. You might need an ultrasound. I have a large nodule which has pushed my levels up. Doctors are NOT specialists.