Register Today!
Receive our eNewsletters. Signup
EndocrineWeb Community Advice
Posted in: Hyperparathyroidism, and MEN 1.


From: Srbax - 3 years 46 weeks ago

I recently receive a letter saying I should be tested for MEN 1, because several family members have it. I wasn't to concerned since my calcium levels are always normal. I have been feeling very bad for over a year, I thought I might need an increase of my levothyroxin. My doctor ran a PTH test and although my calcium levels are still normal my PTH is 2.5 times the normal limit. She wanted to send me to a surgeon, but the surgeon wants me to see a endocrinologist first to have detailed scans? Is this common? Is there anything I can do to feel better, while waiting for multiple appointments?

Do you find this discussion helpful?

1 Response

Is this good advice?

I definitely think you should see an endocrinologist before seeing a surgeon. And even if you get a diagnosis, I think if you can you ought to get a second opinion just to be sure - this is something I think everyone who has been diagnosed with a disease should do, to make sure that's really the problem. It sounds as if the surgeon wants to make sure, too, and that's why he wants you to see an endocrinologist.

As to what you can do to feel better, I can't really address that but definitely try not to worry too much - stress can make you feel worse. Easy to say and hard to do, I know, but I for one will keep good thoughts about you in this difficult time.