About Scott Isaacs MD, FACP, FACE
Dr. Scott Isaacs is a board certified and fellowship trained endocrinologist in practice at Atlanta Endocrine Associates. His private practice focuses on obesity medicine, thyroid disease, diabetes and general endocrinology.
Furthermore, he is an Adjunct Instructor of Medicine at Emory University School of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Lipids; Medical Director of Health Management Resources (HMR) Weight Management Program; Medical Consultant, "My Diet is Better Than Yours," ABC Television Networks; and Editor in Chief of StatPearls.com Obesity Section.
Dr. Isaacs received his medical degree at Emory University School of Medicine, completed his internship at the University of Florida Health Sciences Center (Shands-Jacksonville), and residency in internal medicine at Emory University School of Medicine. He then completed a Fellowship in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism at Emory University School of Medicine's Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism.
Throughout his academic and clinical career, Dr. Isaacs has received numerous honors and awards. Several distinctions have been awarded year after year—Top Doc Lifestyles Magazine, Castle Connolly Top Doctor, Health Management Resources Gold Standard Award, and others. He has also received accolades for his outstanding books and other works to help people with obesity.
Dr. Isaacs is an active member of many prestigious medical societies, including the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Endocrine Society, American Diabetes Association, American College of Physicians, and American Medical Society.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
1. Edwards, DA and Isaacs, SD "Zona Incerta Lesions: Effects on Copulation, Partner-Preference and Other Socio-Sexual Behaviors." Behavioural Brain Research, 44(1991) 145-150.
2. Weinstein, Isaacs, Shore, and Blevins. "Diagnosis and Management of Pituitary Tumors." Comprehensive Therapy, 1997; 23 (9) 594-604.
3. Umpierrez, Woo, Hagopian, Isaacs, Palmer, Gaur, Nepom, Clark, Mixon and Kitabchi. "Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Obese African-Americans with Noninsulin-Dependent Diabetes." Diabetes Care, 1999;22(9): 1517-1523.
4. Umpierrez, Tuvlin, Isaacs, DiGirolamo, and Kokko. "Differences in the Metabolic and Hormonal Milieu in Patients with Diabetic- and Alcohol-induced Ketoacidosis." 2000;15(2) Journal of Critical Care: 52-59.
5. Isaacs, Fan, Farmer, Nanes and Rubin. "Role of NFKappaB in the Regulation of Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor-alpha in ST2 Bone Stromal Cells." J Cell Physiol, 1999 May;179(2):193-200.
6. Umpierrez, Isaacs, Bazargan, You, Thaler and Kitabchi, "Hyperglycemia: An Independent Risk Factor for Hospital Mortality in Patients with Undiagnosed Diabetes." Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 87:978-982, 2002.
7. Isaacs, Scott, Minnesota Health Care News, April 2007, "Balancing Hormones for Good Health."
8. Isaacs, Ioachimescu, Eiland, Oyesiku and Ritchie.,"Pathogenesis of Marked Pituitary Enlargement and Increased Serum Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone in Primary Hypothyroidism," Thyroid. January 2012, 22(1): 101-102. doi:10.1089/thy.2011.0237
Books and Book Chapters
1. Isaacs, Scott. "Medical Nutrition Therapy for Weight Management" in Bariatric Endocrinology: Evaluation and Management of Adiposopathy, Adiposity and Related Diseases, editors: J. Michael Gonzalez-Campoy, Daniel L. Hurley, and Timothy W. Garvey, Springer (in press).
2. Isaacs, Scott. "Physical Activity for Weight Management" in Bariatric Endocrinology: Evaluation and Management of Adiposopathy, Adiposity and Related Diseases, editors: J. Michael Gonzalez-Campoy, Daniel L. Hurley, and Timothy W. Garvey, Springer (in press).
3. Isaacs, Scott. Comment arrêter de manger trop! [French] 2014: Marabout Press, Paris, France.
4. Isaacs, Scott. Hormonal Balance: How to Lose Weight by Understanding Your Hormones and Metabolism. Third Edition. 2012: Bull Publishing Company, Boulder, CO.
5. Isaacs, Scott. Beat Overeating Now!: Take Control of Your Hunger Hormones to Lose Weight Fast. 2012: Fair Winds Press, Beverly, MA.
6. Isaacs, Scott. Your Guide to Thyroid Disorders. 2012: Your Health Companion Books, Omaha, NE.
7. Isaacs, Scott. The Leptin Boost Diet: Unleash Your Fat-Controlling Hormones for Maximum Weight Loss. 2007, Ulysses Press, Berkeley, CA.
8. Isaacs, Scott. Hormonal Balance: Understanding Hormones, Weight and Your Metabolism. Second Edition. 2007: Bull Publishing Company, Boulder, CO.
9. Isaacs, Scott and Vagnini, Fred. Overcoming Metabolic Syndrome. 2005. Addicus Publishing Company, Omaha, NE.
10. Isaacs, Scott and Ruggieri, Paul. A Simple Guide to Thyroid Disorders: From Diagnosis to Treatment. 2003: Addicus Publishing Company, Omaha, NE.
11. Isaacs, Scott. Hormonal Balance: Understanding Hormones, Weight and Your Metabolism. 2002: Bull Publishing Company, Boulder, CO.
12. Isaacs, Scott D. Overview of the Physical Examination. In Unlocking the Mysteries of the Physical Exam. Neil B. Shulman, Edmond Moses, and Daniel Adame. Harcourt, Brace and Company, Orlando, FL. 1995.
13. Blevins, Shore, Weinstein, and Isaacs. "Clinical Presentation of Pituitary Tumors" in Pituitary Disorders: Comprehensive Management. Krisht and Tindall, eds. Williams and Wilkins, 1999.
1. Isaacs, Tuvlin, Kitabchi, and Umpierrez. "Analysis of Insulin Secretion and Genetic and Immunologic Markers in Obese African-Americans with Diabetic Ketoacidosis." Journal of Investigative Medicine. 45,28A, 1997.
2. Umpierrez, Woo, Hagopian, Isaacs, Palmer, Graur, Nepom and Kitabchi."Immunogenetic Analysis Suggest Different Pathogenesis Between Obese and Lean African-Americans with Diabetic Ketoacidosis." #0752, National American Diabetes Association Meeting, June 1997, Boston, MA.
3. Isaacs, Fan, Nanes and Rubin. "Tumor Necrosis Factor Stimulates Expression of Membrane Bound Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor." Plenary Poster Session (P220), American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, September 1997, Cincinnati, Ohio.
4. Isaacs, Fan, Diamond, Murphey, Nanes and Rubin. "NF-kB Inhibitor Sodium Salicylate Enhances Tumor Necrosis Factor alpha-Induced Stimulation of Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor." The Endocrine Society National Meeting, P1-619, June 1998, New Orleans, LA.
5. Umpierrez, You, Mixon. Hill, Bazargan and Isaacs. "Clinical Significance of Newly Diagnosed Hyperglycemia in Hospitalized Patients." The Endocrine Society National Meeting, P1-378, June 1999, San Diego, CA.
6. White, Wehbi, Isaacs and Parker. "Neurological Complications of Osteoporotic Vertebral Collapse." Poster Session, American College of Physicians, Regional Meeting, Savannah, GA, May, 2000.
Links to articles, radio interviews and television news clips at:
Financial Disclosures for Scott Isaacs MD, FACP, FACE
EndocrineWeb, a Vertical Health, LLC website, is committed to ensuring that the medical information it presents is accurate, balanced, objective, and trustworthy.
To help achieve this goal, EndocrineWeb requires all authors, editors, and reviewers to disclose any financial relationships or affiliations they have with companies whose products or services may be mentioned in the content they author, edit, or review.
The intent of this policy is to identify any perceived, potential, or real conflicts of interest so that readers can make their own judgments about the value of information being presented.